Blog Post 2

      As a student, I have been using Microsoft Word since elementary school. When I first started typing up essays to turn in, I used on Word. It wasn't until high school that I learned about other software you could use instead of Word. I thought every computer came with Word and it wasn't until I got my first laptop that I realized you had to purchase it and then download it. This is because my school district made everything on either Word or PowerPoint. Since everything was on Word, I was able to edit whatever they sent to us but I never heard of them having an issue students changing the instructions or due dates. When I edited the Word documents, it was usually just because I was leaving myself a reminder on the instructions so I would see it later.
      Both the school district I grew up in and Florida State University have had great resources that helped students find legitimate resources that included the citation for your work cited. This was always very helpful, as a student, because how to write out citations is not taught much in schools anymore. My school district I grew up in used Turnitin.com for every paper we wrote in high school to make sure they were not plagiarized. As a teacher, I would use cites similar to Turnitin.com because it always made me check my paper very thoroughly to make sure everything was cited correctly and that I was using enough of my own ideas in my papers. I would also hope that my students have access to resources, like JSTOR, so they would be able to find reliable resources to use.
         I remember I was in middle school when my school made us sit through a presentation where they pulled up examples of posts on Instagram or Facebook and showed us how someone could take that picture and use it to find out information about us. I remember they were able to trace this girl's picture all the way back to what high school she went to states away. This has made me extra cautious of what I am posting and who I let follow me. That's why I would give a similar presentation to my students to show them how little things in their picture can help a stranger find out exactly who you are. I think it is also important to do this at a younger age before they are on social media posting pictures.
      I did not completely know what academic dishonesty meant until I took my first English class at Florida State University. The main thing I did not know was that using your past work in another assignment was considered academic dishonesty. I had been doing that with my art projects in high school. I had one teacher that had us paint specific animals on things like eggs or pumpkins around the holidays. I would take them and turn them into my art teacher later in the day for my weekly sketch book. This is why I think they need to thoroughly define what academic dishonesty is to student starting in middle school. This would have made me more aware that what I was doing was wrong. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ILP "Design"- Infographic