Blog 1

      The way the world is rapidly changing around us influences teachers and students to use technology in the classroom so they can keep up with today's society.
      The ISTE standards for educators are learner, leader, citizen, collaborator, designer, facilitator, and analyst. The ISTE standards for students are similar but adapted to fit the needs of students instead, they are empowered learner, digital citizen, knowledge constructor, innovative designer, computational thinker, creative communicator, and global collaborator. As an educator, I think analyst is the most meaningful standard because an educator needs to understand what their students are having trouble with in order to be effective. As a student, I think innovative designer and computation thinker are the most meaningful because today we have all this technology that can help you learn and test new ideas that we should be using to our full advantage. As an educator, designer is the one closest to being outside my current skill set because I have not had to plan my own lessons or activities for a class yet. I think As a student, I think digital citizen is where I lack the most because with today's technology it is so easy to communicate with others and help relay information to those in search of it but I do not help others online as much as I could.
      I do not think digital native is a term that can be put on a generation just because they were born after a certain date. Not everyone has the same access to technology which makes some people really skilled in technology but can leave others with little to no skill. Right now, digital native is a term that is trying to be applied to anyone born in the early 80's and later but I think a more accurate use of the term digital native would be to use it to describe those born in the early 80's and later that also had access to technology. Depending on how much a digital immigrant uses technology in their daily life and what they use it for, they could be just as good with technology with digital natives or even better. Using my parents as examples, my mom was a teacher in the 90's but quit teaching before technology ever made it into her classroom so she is not as skilled with programs such as Microsoft Office. My dad is a manager in a mortgage company and has been since the early 2000's, so he uses the different Microsoft programs on a daily basis and is probably just as skilled as I am in them, if not more skilled then me. Growing up with parents of these skill levels, my dad usually helped me with technology and then I went and helped my mom whenever she needed help with technology. In my career as a teacher, I would like to use technology to get my students as involved as possible. I would also like to use different programs to make what I am teaching interesting to them.

Comments

  1. Very interesting that your parents are so tech-savvy! My parents are also very skilled and taught me many of the skills I know and use today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to know how you would help other online more. Would you upload information to contribute to it's accessibility? Or did you have something else in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I mean is that I do not post a lot online or on any social media and when I do post it's usually not quality stuff. For example, my tweets are usually funny things that happened to me that day instead of using my tweets to inform others on things that could be affect them.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading your perspective about digital natives and digital immigrants. I agree that there are some outliers- like people who don't have access to technology or didn't grow up with it incorporated into their everyday life. I would argue that MOST people (at least in the US) born after the 80's have had access to technology, especially in today's generation. The only reason I say that is because schools have caught on to the technological trends of our society and nowadays, even if children don't have a computer at home, most schools or public libraries provide access to technology. They expose them to it at a young age and that plays a big part in the exposure to technology. Kids catch on fast and because the majority grow up with technology either at home or in school or both, I would argue that there is such thing as digital natives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILP "Design"- Infographic